Thursday, February 26, 2015

Review: Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Summary: 

Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer's Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind.

But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to... the one boy who makes her question everything she feels for Nico.

Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search--and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried....


Summary is from Goodreads.

Information:
Part of a series? No
Pages: 233
Published: February 8, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Bought
Review: 

Lisa McMann never ceases to amaze me. I read the Wake series and I loved them. The writing was something so new, so fresh, and just so different from anything I've ever read. Cryer's Cross was no different.

Now I will admit, as embaressing as it is, that I totally can't do anything dealing with horror. Halloween scares me (masks... EEEK). I watch scary movies behind the comfort of a pillow and only watch when I KNOW there's no chance I can get scared. Yet, I decided I needed to read Cryer's Cross. And I'm definitely not disappointed that I read it.

McMann brings us a setting that is creepy in itself: a rural farming down in Montana that is only home to about 200 or less people. I mean, it's one of those towns you rarely see - everyone knows everyone, and there's still a freaking one room schoolhouse! Then add in students mysteriously going missing without a trace and a new bad boy and you've got a wonderful story.

I loved the characters. Kendall was a great main character. She has OCD, which is really hard for a lot of people (including me) to understand, but McMann writes about it in a way that makes it easily understandable.

The storyline is something very original that I have never seen or even heard about before. It was very spooky and mysterious. There were a lot of plot twists. I didn't see the ending coming at all. I hadn't even thought of it as a possibility, it was kept in the dark so well.

Cryer's Cross is a great mix of romance, action, adventure, mystery, and horror that will leave readers awed at the end, wondering what the heck happened. If you didn't read the Wake series because you weren't a fan of the sparse writing style, I would still recommend this one to you - this one does not have that sparse writing like her other novels.
 

Overall: Great!  Totally recommended by me.

Grade: A+

Anna


   

No comments: